I work in animation. I am in hell. I am back.

Sunday, March 4, 2007

UNION = USELESS

So I'm reading all of these rage-filled but well-thought-out and entirely legitimate posts and it occurs to me: What has the animation union done to help with all of these problems?

The answer, of course, is: not a goddamned thing.

Now, I realize lots of you probably work at nonunion studios, but in NY, LA, Toronto and other animation meccas, we're supposed to be protected by our precious unions.

But, alas, it is Friday and as I speak every single animation artist I know will either be working very late tonight, all through the weekend or BOTH - with no additional pay.

Isn't the union supposed to safeguard against stuff like this?

Oh - right... it's up to the artists to raise a stink.

Of course, the reason we're all staying anonymous here is because we all know that blackballing is not only a real threat, but it's extremely common in this industry.

See, the way producers get around it is they make it seem as though it's the artist's fault... "Our deadlines are perfectly reasonable"... sure... but your scripts aren't.

I would love it if someone from the union found this site and got a glimpse at what a miserable job they're doing.

This is what we've all resorted to, union reps... ranting anonymously on a blog because we know that we are in a hopeless situation and our union is too impotent to do anything about it.

Enjoy our dues.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have been a member for many years and I do see your point of frustration at The Animation Guild(as it is now called),as it has, as a local, unfortunately become weaker over the years. IMO,much of this is due to leverage issues regarding runaway production/strikes years ago,paired with the elimination of punitive consequences for working NON- union. Bad combo, in my book.
If SAG actors work outside the contract, they get heavily nailed, as it should be.
However, it is also important to point out that they(the Guild and participating studios) have set the local wage rates to where non-signators do have to compete wage-wise to get experienced talent. And yes, people do fear being blackballed when it comes to naming themselves in grievances regarding overtime and long unpaid hours,etc., because they ALLOW the studios to intimidate them. But I can tell you from personal experience that when I filed a grievance it was resolved in my favor and I never got blackballed.